Join the NCEA to spread awareness of World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD), June 15th and help spread the word about this important cause and spark meaningful conversations about elder justice! Use #WEAAD and the tools below to raise awareness on your social media platforms.
Social Media Guide
WEAAD Activities on Social Media
How to participate:
- Post 6 facts about elder abuse
- Reply 1 thing you can do to prevent elder abuse
- Tag 5 friends in your post. Don’t forget to use #WEAAD615!
Facts About Elder Abuse
Things You Can Do
- Curious to know what people are doing to commemorate World Elder Abuse Awareness Day? Visit https://eldermistreatment.usc.edu/weaad-home/events/ to join or start an event in your community. #WEAAD
- The more communities we engage, the more people we have who can make a difference for older and younger communities alike! Join an upcoming event https://eldermistreatment.usc.edu/weaad-home/events/ #WEAAD
- WEAAD BINGO: When you have BINGO, share with the National Center on Elder Abuse (NCEA) on social media using the hashtag #WEAAD.
- Instructions and Game Board https://eldermistreatment.usc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/508_WEAAD2021_bingo_web.pdf
- Coloring Posters: Get creative with elder abuse awareness with these coloring posters!
- WEAAD Placemats: Encourage local eldercare agencies to use these informative placemats in facilities.
Sample Social Media Posts
- June 15th is World Elder Abuse Awareness Day. Older people throughout the United States lose an estimated $2.6 billion or more annually due to elder financial abuse and exploitation. Elder abuse also creates health care and legal costs for our society. However, we can change this. Learn more: http://eldermistreatment.usc.edu/weaad-home #WEAAD
- Older people are mistreated more often than we think due to the lack of supports for older people in our communities. It doesn’t have to be this way. Get involved in creating a stronger society that safeguards our communities and prevents abuse. http://eldermistreatment.usc.edu/weaad-home #WEAAD
- Supportive communities and resources are essential to engaging older people and preventing abuse. #WEAAD http://eldermistreatment.usc.edu/weaad-home
- Educating our communities on how to prevent abuse means we are all doing our part to support everyone as we age. #WEAAD
- An estimated 5 million, or 1 in 10, older Americans experience elder abuse, neglect, or exploitation. Working together across our networks, we can generate awareness and foster action to end elder abuse. Let’s work to keep everyone safe as we age. #WEAAD http://eldermistreatment.usc.edu/weaad-home