The power of social media can help us all spread the word about World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD)! Join the NCEA with #WEAAD and the tools below to raise awareness on your social media platforms.
Participate in the #WEAAD615 Challenge!
Join in on the #WEAAD615 challenge on your favorite social media platforms!
Here is how to get in on the challenge. Post 6 facts about elder abuse, Reply 1 thing you can do to prevent elder abuse, then tag 5 friends in your post. Don’t forget to use #WEAAD615!
Here are some ready to use posts to get you started:
Choose 6 Facts About Elder Abuse:
- 1 in 10 Americans age 60+ have experienced #ElderAbuse.
- #ElderAbuse is underreported.
- For every 1 case of #ElderAbuse reported, 44 cases are not.
- 1 in 14 cases of #ElderAbuse come to the attention of authorities.
- Lack of #CommunitySupports increases risk of abuse.
- Isolation is a risk factor of #ElderAbuse.
- The costs of #ElderAbuse are high for the affected individuals and society alike.
- #ElderAbuse reduces older people’s participation in the life of our communities.
- Abuse creates healthcare and legal costs, which are often shouldered by public programs like Medicare and Medicaid.
- #ElderAbuse costs survivors billions of dollars each year.
- The annual loss by survivors of #FinancialAbuse is estimated to be between $2.6 billion and $36.5 billion.
- #ElderAbuse is associated with increased rates of hospitalization in the community population.
Choose 1 Thing You Can Do:
- Learn the signs of elder abuse and neglect.
- Learn how we can collectively solve the issue of elder abuse.
- Learn how we can all age well and reduce abuse with community programs and services.
- Spread the word with friends and family members.
- Spread the word about essential community supports like law enforcement, community centers, and public transportation
- Spread the word about World Elder Abuse Awareness Day #WEAAD
- Reach out and prevent isolation.
- Reach out to congregation leaders to give a talk about elder abuse.
- Call or visit older loved ones regularly.
- Provide respite breaks for caregivers.
- Learn more about #AdultProectiveServices and #LTCOmbudsmen
- Volunteer to be a friendly visitor.
Use #WEAAD615 and Tag 5 of Your Friends on Social Media!